Thursday, September 12, 2013

Love REAL, love NOW

Having just experienced the 12th anniversary of September 11, 2001 combined with the bit of perspective from what I've seen in life, I've come to realize how important it is to work to live love and have one's priorities in place. 

It pains me to see people obsessed with career aspirations and/or material gain and placing wants like this above God and the people in their life. 


We aren't promised that we will have tomorrow. You don't know what the next few minutes hold. I've watched people die and seen people hurt. I'm often reminded of how short our lives can be. I think it's too short to love boldly. 


I recently watched a television show that exhibited a person loving another by going out of their way to perform what one of the other characters referred to as a 'grand gesture' of love. 

Why NOT show grand gestures of love? Why does it seem odd-rare for people to reach out, sacrifice, and love?


Think about the love of Jesus Christ.


9"By this the love of God was manifested in us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world so that we might live through Him. 10 In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. 11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another." 1 John 4:9-11

What beautiful love that was shown to us in having the ability to be forgiven through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ.


Here this my friends,


12 "'This is My commandment, that you love one another, just as I have loved you. 13 Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends. 14 You are My friends if you do what I command you. 15 No longer do I call you slaves, for the slave does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I have heard from My Father I have made known to you. 16 You did not choose Me but I chose you, and appointed you that you would go and bear fruit, and that your fruit would remain, so that whatever you ask of the Father in My name He may give to you. 17 This I command you, that you love one another." John 15:12-17 


What a clear description of our call.

The story of Harry Potter and his mother sacrificing to save her son,

 the story of Sam and Frodo from the The Lord of the Rings demonstrating sacrificial love, and the movies where someone gives up time, opportunity, and prestige to show love can leave an impression on people... 

Why not live that way? Why not live love REAL, and live love NOW.  
Stop thinking about your own personal gain for a moment and think about how you can show a grand gesture to someone you care about. 


No comments:

Post a Comment